What/how do I need to submit to complete the application?

To be considered, you will need to submit online application first

Do I really need to take tests? 

See test requirement Q/A.

How long is the teaching term?

J1 program is administered under Bridge USA Program by Department of State for promoting cultural exchange activities. Under J1 teacher program, exchange teachers are allowed to participate in the program for three years with optional to extend two more years.

Is there a fee to participate in the program USA?

Yes, there are fees to be participated in the program for teachers. Refer to General Expense and Fee Summary.

How can I know if I am a certified teacher or not?

A certified teacher has a valid teaching certificate issued by department of education or similar government agency at your home country. Any private institute or schools issued certificates will not be considered as a certified teacher but it may be counted toward your educational credits. Contact your local Department of Education for teacher license information.

How long will it take for me to get selected by school representatives?

It will depend on your educational field and personal character; some fields are in higher demand than in the others. To expedite the process, prepare requested documents as completed as possible to avoid further delay of your participation to teach in the U.S.

Where are you located?

We are located in beautiful hill country Austin Texas.

Do I need to pay taxes?

You will need to pay any federal and or state income tax when earned but may not subjected to FICA or Medicare tax, see the following.

Any J-1 teacher/researcher who has been in the U.S. for two calendar years or less, out of the last six calendar years, is considered to be a nonresident alien for tax purposes.

Generally, any other visa holder (e.g. H1-B) who is in the U.S. for less than 183 days during his/her first visit here, would be a nonresident alien for tax purposes in that year. Visits in the subsequent year count toward testing for tax residency status.

Once you become a resident alien for tax purposes, you are subject to the same taxes as a U.S. citizen. A nonresident alien is taxed differently than a U.S. citizen or Resident Alien. For example, a nonresident alien is not entitled to the standard deduction that is available to U.S. citizens and Resident Aliens. For detail, visit IRS website or click Here

I am a former visa holder (K1/J1/etc?). Can I still apply?

If you have completed or early withdraw your previous J1 program in a good standing and has stayed outside of the U.S for two years and continue to meet the eligibility requirements. you may be eligible to apply again. Complete documents need to be collected and reviewed to determine your eligibility. Change of the status within the U.S is not permissible. You will need to depart the U.S and then make a new nonimmigrant visa appointment at the US embassy in your home country or current residency for a J-1 Teacher visa. Keep in mind that you will need to demonstrate strong ties to your home country and nonimmigrant intent at the J-1 visa appointment.

My spouse is a teacher also. Can he/she apply for J1 visa?

Yes, he/she can submit his/her own application and documents directly to IER.  Spouse can also apply for a teaching position under J2 once the work permit is approved. Work permit can take up to 6 months or longer for USCIS to process.

What is the timeline for my application?

IER accepts application and conducts prerequisite interview all year round. Interviews with host schools start in early Spring until filled. Teachers are expected to arrive in the United States a week or two before the commence date of new school year, which is usually in August or early September and have ample time to obtain SSN and Teaching License application.

I have a job offer right now. Can you sponsor me?

You must submit online IER application first and upload supporting documents for IER to review your eligibility.

Currently I am under F1 OPT (Optional Practical Training), can I apply for J1 program?

You may apply for J1 teacher program if you meet the requirements and

(a) have recently (within 12 months of application) completed an advanced degree and

(b) have two years of full-time teaching experience within the past eight years.

 After I finish my J1 program, what will happen to my J2 dependent?

Once your program has ended, same status will apply to your J2 dependent which means the J2 program will be ended as well.