IER is an U.S. Department of State officially designated J1 sponsor. The J1 Teacher Program helps to place qualified Exchange Visitors to teach full-time in primary and secondary accredited educational institutions. If you meet the requirements below and are ready to make a difference to your life and others APPLY now.

  • Non-U.S. citizenship or permanent residency
  • Fluent in English
  • A university degree or teaching diploma equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree
  • At least three years teaching experience in the appropriate subject area
  • Currently employed as a classroom teacher
  • Teacher certification in country of residency or nationality
  • Clear police background check

To be fully considered, be sure to send all documents listed on the checklist

Test Requirement Q/A

Submit COMPLETED documents to 

If you meet the above requirement, you will be notified and scheduled for a SKYPE interview for English proficiency test. Once selected into the program, an interview with host school’s representatives will be arranged if placement service is requested.

J Visa Health Insurance Requirements

Based on the Federal law [22CFR 62.14] requirements that all Exchange Visitors (as well as their accompanying spouses and dependents) have insurance in effect that covers them for sickness or accidents during the time of their participation in the Exchange Visitor Program. You can choose to buy your own insurance policy or purchase through IER’s partner agency.

IER provides the insurance coverage that meets and exceeds the requirement set below

  1. Medical benefits of $100,000 per accident or illness
  2. A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
  3. Medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000
  4. Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000

Once you are selected by the host school, IER will process your visa and assist with your license application if required. Under J-1 Teacher Program, you are allowed to work maximum of three years.

Frequent Ask Questions

Pre-Arrival Guide

General Summary of Fees and Expenses

J Visa Health Insurance Requirements